Thursday, December 6, 2012

REVIEW REDUX: Hunters by Stefanie Pristavu

Title: Hunters
Author: Stefanie Pristavu
ASIN: B008RTTOQ2
Rating: 3 stars
Synopsis from Goodreads: Rachel and Daniel broke every rule in the Hunter book. Don’t turn humans into Hunters. Daniel did that when he saved Rachel from becoming a vampire bride. Don’t travel beyond your assigned area. Assigned area? They’ve traveled half-way around the world in search for Vlad, the vampire boss. Report all hunting activity to the Hunters’ High Council. There’s a Hunters’ High Council? Don’t tell humans about the existence of paranormal beings. Ooopsy, they kinda let that one slip. Don’t resist arrest and escape from your death sentence. Well, about that… If they’re to go down, they’re taking Vlad with them, especially since he screwed up both their lives. The Council has a valid reason to want their heads, but Rachel and Daniel have more pressing matters to worry about. Like the screechy voices inside Rachel’s head which sing of death and destruction and the creepy Banshee who predicts the coming of a Hunter – vampire war. A war which Daniel and Rachel must trigger to save their race from extinction. And Rachel seriously doubts that a head-on battle between the vampires and the Hunters will be their ticket out of the death sentence.

 I got the PDF version for free in exchange for giving it an honest review. In the beginning, I hated this book. Throughout the entire book, it switched font and size on my Nook every few words. Very frustrating when you're trying to read. With the author's permission, I used Calibre to change it to EPUB format and that fixed that issue.
This was the first book I actually took notes on, I disliked it so much. These are how my notes go: Don't like this book. Vlad the Impaler? Really?! No real sense for where the book is until about page 17. First four chapters -- book 1?! WTH is a Bride? Why do they need to stake vamps so many times?
Eventually, I stopped taking notes and just read the book, despite wanting to put it down and walk away several times. I'm glad I didn't put it down because eventually it got ok. A lot of the Hunter world wasn't explained, which made me think that perhaps this should be a book 2 of a series. I didn't understand how two relatively new "Hunters" could go after THE vamp, Dracula himself. Also, unless you read Stoker's Dracula and its surrounding mythos, you don't get the idea behind a Bride. As my notes say, the reader doesn't know where the characters are in the beginning of the book. Something small to clue the reader in would have been good, and not all the way till page 17 or so.
Ultimately, this book could have been so much better, and definitely has potential, which is why I'm giving it 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment