Friday, March 8, 2013

Blog Hop for a Cause


When I found out that Nancy Amato at Mommy Lesson Plans had shaved her head, immediately I thought perhaps she was going through the same thing my sister is. Fortunately she's not.

On January 24th of this year, I got a call from my sister. I never hear from my sister, unless its an emergency, and I joked about it. "Lissa, what's up, you never call me unless something's wrong, what's going on?" She gave me some story about wanting to catch up, her husband had bought her a calling card for Christmas.
"Oh that's great! So what's going on?"
She broke down and started crying. "I'm going in for chemo on Saturday."
This totally hit me out of left field. I didn't even know she was sick.
So the next hour was talking about what has happened over the past almost 6 months. She found a lump on self breast exam, found out it was stage 2a Invasive Ductal Carcinoma.

"Kris, there are only two things about my body I like....my boobs and my hair, and I'm losing them both!" We both cried and laughed.
So, I've got a page up there devoted to just updates on her.

My big sister is going in for her third chemo treatment tomorrow. She's already lost her hair, she lost it before her second treatment. But, as optimistic as she is, its just like her when she said, "I guess this means the chemo's working."

She's my big sister. She's gonna kick this cancer's ass. I don't mind writing that I'm crying while I am typing this. She's my big sister, I've always wanted to be just like her. I've always looked up to her. I don't want her to have to go through this.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story. It is so hard to watch someone you love have to fight so hard for what we all take for granted.

    ReplyDelete