Tuesday, October 29, 2013

REVIEW: A Bead and a Prayer by Kristen Vincent

Title: A Bead and a Prayer
Author: Kristen E Vincent
Series: None
Publisher: Upper Room
Published Date: July 1, 2013
ISBN: 978-0835812177
Buy It Links: Amazon
Rating: 4 1/2 stars

Synopsis: A Bead and a Prayer introduces Protestant prayer beads to Christians who have no experience in praying with beads.
Author Kristen Vincent explores the history and art of using beads in prayer, explains how to use prayer beads, includes instructions for making your own set of prayer beads, and offers a variety of prayers. Through this book you will learn how prayer beads can help you deepen your faith, understand Christian beliefs, and listen to God.
A wonderful hands-on way for individuals and groups to grow in their prayer life!

Review: I'd like to thank the publishers especially for allowing me to read this book for review. I had originally gotten from NetGalley, but the publisher archived it before I was able to send it to my Kindle. When I emailed the publisher, they were nice enough to send me a copy of it to review.
I finished this book in a day, when it should really be thoroughly gone through a week at a time like the instructions say. I truly can't say enough about this book. It was a great introduction to Protestant prayer beads. As an ex-Catholic, I have very fond memories of my grandmother teaching me the rosary while I was in bed (and me falling asleep during it as well). I have my beloved uncle's favorite rosary, and I have my dad and uncle's rosaries they received at their first communion almost 70 years ago. 

I don't have any Catholic rosaries of my own, but I did buy myself a pretty little Protestant prayer bead set a few weeks ago:
Olive wood set....aren't they pretty?

I had been Googling how to use them properly....after all, there's only one "right" way to pray the rosary, right? When I came across this book, I thought: "There you go! Here is the right way!" And what I learned? They're just a tool. There's no one right equation, like with the rosary. What can I say? This whole freedom thing in the Protestant sector of Christianity still blows my mind sometimes (in a good way).
In this book, the author comes up with several different ways, all of which are excellent. Coming from a  Catholic background, I felt comfortable with the second week's exercise of repeating the same prayers over and over again. However, I also found out that I really liked each week's exercise. They were all vastly different, but all had their uses.
The best part of the entire book was the way of introducing prayer beads to kids. Absolutely loved that part! I'm definitely getting a copy of this book in paperback for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment